Help South Tyneside thrive by signing up to the South Tyneside Pledge.
This Pledge is for all organisations in South Tyneside, big or small, public or private.
The aim is for South Tyneside organisations to commit to taking small steps to:
- boost local economic activity
- reduce health inequalities
- reduce carbon emissions
- enhance civic pride
This will benefit the whole of South Tyneside.
The South Tyneside Partnership will:
- champion and monitor the Pledge
- share best practice
- provide advice, guidance and support to those signing up.
#PledgeSouthTyneside is a partnership approach to support #LoveSouthTyneside.
What the pledge is
The Pledge aims to encourage South Tyneside organisations to focus on local activities and practical steps such as local procurement and recruitment, that can help South Tyneside to thrive.
The Pledge does not involve targets or difficult reporting, or an obligation to carry out every step in the Pledge.
It is based on the sharing of best practice, and a form being returned by those signing up every six months.
Spend South Tyneside
Spend South Tyneside by aiming to:
- Increase the proportion of procurement spending in South Tyneside and the wider area and, if relevant, explore joint procurement and commissioning.
- Support South Tyneside small businesses to bid for opportunities with larger organisations.
- Encourage employees to spend, shop and eat in South Tyneside, and visit and engage with our attractions.
Recruit South Tyneside
Recruit South Tyneside by aiming to:
- Hire more South Tyneside residents, advertise jobs locally and take action on gender pay gaps.
- Provide job opportunities, apprenticeships or career guidance to local residents, with a real focus upon Care Leavers, carers and those with learning difficulties.
- Promote healthy lifestyles and sign up for the Better Health at Work Award.
Support South Tyneside
Support South Tyneside by aiming to:
- Encourage employees to volunteer with South Tyneside organisations.
- Implement a climate change action plan that includes carbon reduction targets and the use of environmentally-sustainable supply chains.
- Use our green spaces and cultural offer.
Sign up to the pledge
By signing the Pledge you are stating that you will do everything you can to spend, recruit and support our local area, helping South Tyneside’s residents and businesses.
Some of the great work already being carried out by organisations which have signed up to the Pledge include:
- The Council and partners delivered South Tyneside Business Week 2022 with a focus on helping local firms to be well placed to bid for procurement opportunities
- Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue Service aiming to involve local businesses in the development of their new Tri-station at Hebburn
- South Tyneside Homes recruiting local apprentices and recognised by the National Apprenticeship Service as one of the Top 100 Employers of Apprentices in the UK
- South Tyneside Council developing a Climate Change Toolkit for businesses about steps local firms can take towards Net Zero
- South Shields Football Club developing its Foundation to raise aspiration and improve health and wellbeing amongst young people in the borough
- Organisations across South Tyneside signing up to the Better Health at Work Award to help drive better health and wellbeing locally
- Inspire South Tyneside encouraging local residents to volunteer for a range of community and voluntary service organisations across the borough.
- The Customs House working closely with local schools, Tyne Coast College, and other local organisations to boost confidence and aspiration through performing arts
- Groundwork has already made the commitment that all of its staff and volunteers will receive Carbon Literacy Training
View the full list of Pledge Organisations in South Tyneside.